Monday, June 30, 2014

Do it now......

I had a quite emotional weekend. A trip to Virginia and my hometown sent

my thoughts into overdrive.  Time spent with friends and family reminded me of

perspective and I have benefited from some excellent advice that was given

from a place of love and compassion.

The emotional marathon has continued as I recalled that my Mom passed away

two years ago today.

We were at Marianne's family farm a little south of Roanoke when my

brother called and broke the news.  Mom had been in declining health, both

physically and mentally for years, but it was still a shock.

I left immediately for home.

Somewhere during the drive it occurred to me.....

"I'm an orphan..."

Dad had passed a week and a day before the 9/11 attacks.

Now, in my fifties, this realization hit me. I had never contemplated

how it might make me feel.  I don't know if there is a word to

describe it.

The weekend's trip home reminded me of my roots. Of my ancestors.

Of how much I didn't know.

My advice to you, as cliche as it is, is do it now.

Whatever you have wanted to say. Whatever you have wanted to ask.

If you still have family that have stories of long lost relatives,

have them write them down. Or record them.

The day is coming when you'll want to know.

Ironic I guess, that the longer I live,

the shorter life seems.

R.I.P. Mom...  11/26/1919 - 6/30/2012



No comments:

Post a Comment