Sunday, June 29, 2014

Now and then....

I visited my parents again this morning. As I left the cemetery, I knew

where I would go next. It took only a few minutes.

I drove slowly up the street, watching the numbers on the houses.

40...42...44...and I pulled over in front of 46.

A couple in a car backed out of the driveway and I motioned to them.

Introducing myself, I asked if they lived there.

They did indeed.

"Would you mind if I took a photo of your front door?"

Before they could dial 9-1-1, I explained.

"I grew up a few blocks away. My folks got married here.

And when I say "here", I mean "here"... In your house.

On April 12th, 1942..."

They told me to help myself and drove away.

I walked up the sidewalk and tried to imagine the moment.

Dad was 24, and Mom was 22.

A little over 72 years ago.

Frozen in time.

Now and then...












No comments:

Post a Comment