Sunday, June 8, 2014

Not that you asked me........

but I want to offer you a bit of advice.

You may not need it, want it or care.

That's OK. Here it comes anyway.

It's helped me and I want to share it with you.

It's been almost 15 months since I left my career in radio,

and I've had time to do a lot of stuff that I wanted to do.

Including sleeping eight hours IN A ROW...

I've also had a lot of time for thought and reflection.

I can do it pretty much anytime and anywhere, but mornings are still

"my" time. I usually get up an hour or so before Marianne, and with

a fresh cup of coffee and a screened porch, I do my best thinkin'...

There are three things that I believe are key in keeping me squared away.

1) Count my blessings. I'll never finish the list.

2) Take absolutely nothing personally. NOTHING. As someone once said,

   "What someone else thinks of me is none of my business..."

3) Stay in the present. This is the biggie for me. We've all thought of things we

    should've said or done....or we worry about something in the future.

    Staying in the present...doing what you can do NOW...is most definitely

    your best option.

Of course, to do these things day in and day out is........tough. Because we're human.

Here's a little trick I use to give myself a "checkup from the neck up"

throughout the day.  I put a rubber band around my right wrist. I forget it's

there, but a few times through the day, I'll notice it. Snap it. And ask

myself, "What am I thankful for? Do I feel under attack? Am I thinking

in the present, or am I dwelling on something in my past, or anxious

about the future???... It helps me get straight mentally and emotionally.

Maybe your "cue" could be when you notice your wedding ring, or your

watch or some other piece of jewelry....(Here in Fuquay Varina, a

rubber band IS jewelry.)

Give it a try this week and let me know how or if it works for you...

I know it sounds kinda "Zen-ish", but it helps me.

And 8 hours of sleep IN A ROW doesn't hurt either...





No comments:

Post a Comment