Thursday, July 31, 2014

One of the good guys.......

A year or two after the CBS juggernaut 'N.C.I.S." began it's run, it still needed

a little help getting the word out. Hard to believe given that it's been the #1

scripted show on network television for the past few years.

Nevertheless, early on we landed a phone chat with it's star, Mark Harmon.

As was a my custom, I liked to establish a bit of rapport with any guest

before we actually rolled on the interview.  The call was scheduled for

9:30am our time, 6:30am his time. He was in the makeup trailer. I picked

up the phone to speak with him one on one.

After introducing myself, I set the wheels in motion...

"Mark, you and I are just a few years apart in age. I gotta ask you,

what's it like going into work everyday with Illya Kuryakin???"

"Illya Kuryakin" was a character played by actor David McCallum

on the 1960's series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.". McCallum is Harmon's

co-star as "Ducky", the team's medical examiner.

Mark jumped on it. "That's the first thing I said to him when I met him!

And David said, 'My God, man. That was 40 years ago!!!'"

Rapport established.

He was funny and honest. 

He famously has a "No Jerks Clause" in his contracts. He wants to

work with good, talented and nice people. Just like he is.

I picked up no sense of an inflated ego.

What you see, and in my case, what you hear...is what you get.

I went onto Google to look for a picture to post here.

My wife Marianne asked if I just wanted her to email me one of her

photos of him.

"When did you take pictures of Mark Harmon?"

"I pause the DVR during "N.C.I.S."..."







No comments:

Post a Comment