Sunday, May 18, 2014

Here comes the judge......

The Bible says, "Judge not that ye be not judged..."

Unless you're a judge.

Which I am. Now.

Yesterday I attended a BBQ Judges training class, at the invitation of my

friend, Graham Wilson...

The Kansas City Barbecue Society's certified judges training class, to be precise.

Now, prior to the class, I had never met a BBQ'd chicken, pig or brisket

that I didn't like.

All that's history.

I learned about appearance, taste and texture.

I learned that adding garnish to your presentation is OK,

but using red tipped lettuce is a huge no-no...

And never let your sauce "pool"...

To prove to you just how serious these folks are,

at the end of class, we all stood, raised our right hands,

and took a pledge...

We said...

"I do solemnly swear to objectively and subjectively evaluate each Barbeque meat that is presented to my eyes, my nose, my hands and my palate. I accept my duty to be an Official KCBS Certified Judge, so that truth, justice, excellence in Barbeque and the American Way of Life may be strengthened and preserved forever..."

Soon, I'll be getting my official  certified BBQ judge's card in the mail...

I feel kinda like Barney Fife with his bullet.

So don't be surprised to see me with a single pork rib in my shirt pocket...



No comments:

Post a Comment